Friday, March 23, 2012

Today we finally had some rain and much cooler temperatures driving the crowds off the river and bringing the Steelhead in.  I went one for two landing this nice fish after it put up a monumental struggle.  It took an egg fly and the fight was much, much too long on the seven weight with 6 pound Maxima.  After such a fish drought I didn't want to lose such a good fish but going forward I'll be much more aggressive about landing fish quickly even at the risk of breaking off.  As it was, this fish couldn't be properly revived and so for the first time in my life I "harvested" a Steelhead.  This will never happen again. Hated myself for causing the courageous fish's death although "Robert" sitting fish-less, cold and soaking wet in jeans and hoody on the bank at the river mouth downtown was so very appreciative of a nice dinner ahead it almost (almost!) offset the guilt. He simply couldn't believe such generosity.  As it was I just wanted to be rid of the evidence of my crime. Strange how some of us eat meat and fish bought from the grocery store all the time without giving it a second thought.  If we had to personally kill the cow, pig, chicken, duck, salmon or whatever it might be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment