Thursday, March 22, 2012

Did a small thing for the environment today by installing a "Monofilament Recycling Bin" on the BR on behalf of The Friends of the Boyne River.  It'll be interesting to see how much use it gets and what goes in apart from mono.  There is another of these at the mouth of the river downtown but I don't think anybody ever empties it.  I found a bunch of barbed wire in the river yesterday and was sure to collect and recycle that; I was almost immediately rewarded by the Steelhead hook-up so maybe that's the answer - give and you shall receive.  Can't wait to get back in the river tomorrow and see what the fishy pay-back is for future generations of anglers not leaving their mono on the bank.  Of course my good intentions may be more than off-set by the sewer pipe blot on the landscape that I created.


These two fishermen thought the mono receptacle was a good idea and were kind enough to give me a few tips on catching and smoking their target species - suckers. They claimed that they try to avoid hooking Steelhead because they're spawning and should be left to get on with it.  I couldn't argue with their position although maybe I was the sucker in this case.  We also discussed other fun approaches to putting meat on the table chief among them use of a bow and arrow and spearing each of which apparently have their own season and devotees.


No comments:

Post a Comment