Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Air temperature 86F. Water temperature in the Boyne River this afternoon was 58F.  Water clear and low.  We need rain! The Steelhead that are in the river are now very active but extremely skittish.  I watched one fish in a seam which appeared to be regularly feeding on the surface.  Never seen a Steely do that before. I would have tried a dry if I'd had one with me.  (Note to self: Carry lines and flies to cover all potential rig changes.) Later on I finally had a hook up but the fish went straight into the wood and there was nothing I could do about it on 3X fluorocarbon.  Five minutes later the guy up-stream caught this beautiful male on an egg-sucking leach dead drift with a single shot a foot up from the fly.  He had 15 pound test on his open face reel tied directly to the fly.  This was his normal rig and he implied highly productive when there are fish AND water in the river.  Certainly a lesson there but first I want regular hook-ups.  He said this was his sole fish after eight hours of trying. I tried to convince him to release the fish but I'm afraid it's now on the supper table and he's the family hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment